Wednesday, November 1, 2017

African Art

Being African American I wanted to dig deep into the different elements of African Art. My mother has a lot of African Art in her house so I thought it would be neat to explore the different types and learn a little about the background. I learn that symbolism is most important when it comes to African Art and that the resemblance to humans, animals, and nature aren't really in comparison. This artwork is based of of mental perception rather than the visible object. Also, since Africa is so diverse in their artwork, the meanings can vary depending on where they are.
In the Legacy of Oppression video I liked how they talked about how culture was misunderstood and how it's all about the nature of existence.
I liked the African art better than the Legacy of Oppression because I felt as though I was learning more about the perceptions of art and not a history lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment