Saturday, September 9, 2017


  • Some of the key concepts in the philosophy of art video that resignated  with me were: 
    • "beauty and the good are one in the same, and the origin of both are god"- I thought this was interesting 
    • Hutchinson thought on beauty and harmony
I thought Plato's (4th century B.C.) thought on "there is a beauty in thought that all things are beautiful" was important to me because I like to look at things that way. I always try to keep a positive energy and I think if you see beauty in everything it's easier to do that and it's easier to accept things for what they are. I also felt as though his thought was important because i think it's important for people to know that art is important and artists matter and that there is art in writing poetry.
If i'm correct, Changeux stated that art was created by our brains and the evolution of the brains from our ancestors (consciously/ unconsciously.) Ramachandran believes that art is created in the human brain and that there is a science to art. I definitely connected more with Ramachandran because he reminded me of myself. I never thought of art as something powerful until recently when I moved to buffalo.
Some key things that resignated with me in this video was when Ramachandran stated that the point of art is to distort or exaggerate the image on person to please the human brain.
another thing that was a key thing to me from this video was the 8 laws of art/aesthetics because I never thought of art in that way.
I enjoyed reading the CNN article because it was straight to the point. When the author mentioned the Mona Lisa smile, I was super excited because I have always wanted to know why exactly my brain felt as though she was smirking at me. Another thing that i thought was pretty interesting was when the author talks about symmetry and how we find it appealing because I remember hearing years ago the the most attractive people in the world have almost perfect symmetrical faces, and I always thought that was very interesting to see them break down symmetry in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment